are we running out of ideas., richard terris.,

It is the year 2008, man has advanced remarkably in the last 2 decades; I remember fondly, laughing at the image of my uncle with his work mobile phone, when I was around 12 years old. It had a very large battery pack, and a massive arial to boot. 5 years later I was 17 and had bought my first mobile phone, which was basic by today’s standards to say the least!
Recently I had a PDA, which I quickly got tired of, having to use a stylus in the pub to text someone left me feeling like a twat (not to say im not) and trying to text or make a call while doing 90MPh down the M8, forget it..
So, I went onto the phone company website, with the intention of going back to basics, getting the most basic phone I could; The most basic phone I could get is an LG Shine (im particularly fond of LG products, since I bought one of their TV’s), which has a camera, mp3 player etc, hardly basic at all.
The medical advances man has made also are stunning, with laser eye surgery now down to an affordable cost, people I grew up with that wore glasses now have better eye sight than me, and stem cell treatment, while still resisted by the government does seem to be working miracles. On a personal note I am convinced that stem cell treatment will provide a cure for cancer, if only the government would allow it.
So why in the midst of all this advancement do we seem to be having a serious case of writer’s block when it comes to entertainment?
Reality TV – The most un-realistic nonsense ever, and anyone who says “I hate it but I can’t stop watching it” needs to seek professional guidance right away! As Billy Connolly says “it’s sitting in the house, watching people sitting in the house”, which is probably the closest thing to being conscious and brain-dead at the same time as I can imagine.
Shows like “the salon” – like I need to watch a bunch of gay guys prancing around cutting hair!, and x-factor – so simon cowell can not only pick the next person to sonically rape the nation with, but also make a killing from the votes! What ever happened to 4 guys strapping on instruments and just having fun?!?! “im a celebrity, get me out of here” – Sorry, is the “im a celebrity” part of the title actually meaningless? Just to make people watch? I haven’t seen one person who I would deem a celebrity on the damn show! Johnny Rotten on there, come on, the guy became obsolete faster than the latest build of windows!
Remake Films – Planet of the apes and I am legend, are oddly both remakes of Charlton Heston films(well the latter is a different film from the same novel but still), someone is clearly saying that they can make a better job of things than mr Heston, not that it would be difficult.. It’s a bit like bands covering bob Dylan songs, every single person who has recorded a Dylan song has made a better version – what does that tell you bob? But back to the point, can no-one come up with a story anymore? Have we really told them all already? Even Scorcese, who I regard as a genius, Is remaking Korean films (departed is a remake of infernal affairs), at least he changed it if only very slightly.
Bands reforming – Led Zeppelin, Cream, Queen with Paul Rogers – I mean, I love these bands, but can the individuals involved not make any new music? At least Mr Plant Is doing something “new” with Alison krauss. When I say new, I mean it is old covers, but its still fresh in arrangement and style.
Copycat killers – For crying out loud! You mean to say you cant even invent a way to kill someone? How complicated does it have to be? Break their neck, shoot them, stab them, just get on with it!!!
What ever happened to a writer sitting down, perhaps smoking some weed, whatever sparks his imagination, and writing a story, a comedy, anything, it doesn’t even have to be 100% original, but it has to be entertaining!!
Have we really run dry of all ideas? Perhaps we could develop one of those neurolysers from men in black, destroy all trace of film, literature, art, music, wipe our memories and start again..
Better yet, get these tired old rock stars that cant write new songs, stick them onto x-factor, get them voted for. Kill Simon Cowell in an original way, and take his money. Then kill each of the old rockers live on TV, and people can vote for the most original kill. When the winner is announced, kill them. Then kill all the producers of these reality shows, live on their show, and again vote on it. Next, kill all the copycat killers, and basically anyone who has done something which has been done before, and then pretty soon there wont be a single human being alive. From musicians, to actors, to poets, to painters, to photographers, to plumbers, to architects, to bus drivers to babies , everyone everywhere that does anything, including breathing, is doing something which has been done before..
Why not just kill god too while we’re at it, because on the 2nd day of creating the universe, he copied himself from the first day.
Finally kill me, because I have undone my entire argument!!!


richard terris.,